Camplite claim to be all aluminum

Started by comoann, April 05, 2017, 10:58:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

comoann

We bought our 13QBB in 2011 after having soft floor twice in previous trailer.  A big reason we bought a Camplite was because it was all aluminum and not subject to rot.  Now we have  damage to the aluminum on one of our storage doors and are told there is indeed wood in all the storage and main trailer doors and that moisture getting inside can indeed deteriorate the aluminum outside.  Not only must we replace the door, we can never sell the trailer as an all aluminum trailer.  I feel we were mislead at the time of sale and have never seen anything in print that changes the claim of  our 2011 Camplite being all aluminum. 

tek610

That doesn't sound right- have you seen the wood yourself? We have a 2016 13QBB we bought last month and I have gone through it with a fine-toothed comb. Haven't found a single splinter or speck of sawdust. I think it was mid-model year 2016 that wood cabinet faces were added, but AFAIK, nothing structural is wood even in the newest models.

Aluminum shavings, though? That's another story- I've found enough of those to make a 12-pack of beer cans.

John and Janet Phipps
2016 13QBB "Phipps' Pholly"
2000 Jeep Cherokee XJ

comoann

I was told by a representative at KZ RV that the doors on my camper were made by Challenger Doors and have laminated wood on the interior and that moisture can cause the problem I am facing.  I believe the doors are now made with Adzel on the interior.  I do not know when the change was made.

rgb13qbb

Comoann: We have a 2012 13QBB built May 2011 and all three of the exterior storage area doors have the corrosion blisters. I called Livin' Lite and from our VIN number customer service was able to identify that the doors where made by Challenger Doors. I then contacted Challenger Door.

There are other reported instances of this happening, see my attachment. Neither Livin' Lite nor Challenger Door offered any warranty assistance when I described the problem and sent them photos. At the time I was just researching the problem and had not found the other references, so as I did not have my "ducks in a row" I did not push the issue. I would suggest that now that we know it is a "known issue" we should make a coordinated effort to seek resolution to the problem by Livin' Lite and or Challenger Door.

They are going to through at us that our trailers are out of warranty. My response will be that it is a "known issue" and hence should be addressed as a defect regardless.

Send my a private message and lets discuss further. 

Shonsu

Did Livin Lite help you with getting the model number for the door or did you have to go through Challenger to get it?

I'm experiencing the same thing with my 2012 16DB and I'd like to replace the door.

rgb13qbb

Hi Shonsu:
Since I originally wrote my post of April 07 I have had a considerable amount of out of country business travel and have not followed up on the blistered doors as of yet.
When I spoke to Livin' Lite customer service prior to writing that post they advised me to contact Challenger with the make/model and serial number of our trailer along with the dimensions of the door.

I would still like push this as being a "known issue" and see if Livin' Lite and or Challenger will step up to the plate and offer some type of warranty assistance. Would you be interested in going that route with me? I think the more people/trailers that are involved the better the odds are of them paying attention.  I am willing to coordinate the initial efforts but would require support materials from you e.g. detailed letter explaining the extent of your trailer's door problems, previous efforts to have it resolved if any, photos, etc. If you are interested drop me a private message and we can discuss this further.

djsamuel

My 21BHS is 4 years old, and the issue for mine is minor; but I still feel this should not be happening.  Here are some pictures that may help:

The entrance door.  You can see the paint issue, but the bulge is not very clear in thie picture.  It is in the lower right corner of the door:

Here is the label for the entrance door:

Here is the driver's side storage access door:

And here is the label for the access door:

2013 Camplite 21BHS

djsamuel

2013 Camplite 21BHS

nanette

I have been trying to research this bc we are needing a wood free Camplite. Can the storage doors be replaced? Can a wood free door be put in? If so, then I believe, from my research, you would have a totally wood free trailer. Are the storage doors and the door on the current models no longer made by Challenger Doors...and wood free?

wakeboydb

I believe they are still made by Challenger but now have azdel instead of wood. That is per the LL factory.
2017 21BHS