CampLite > CampLite Truck Campers

Tc11 solar

(1/3) > >>

Lcvannote:
Hello,
I own a 2014 tc11. I would like to add solar to the roof. I see that they now offer a solar pre wire on new units. How are these wired, where do the pierce the roof and where do the run the wires? Are there recommended locations for the solar z mounts?
Thanks.  Lynn

chappy133:
We did not roof mount our solar panel. We park the camper in the shade and use the 40' of wire to put the panel out in the sun. If you mount to the roof you will need to hit the frame when screw the brackets in. My recommendation is not to put screws in your roof and just put the panel out on the ground.

DavidM:

--- Quote from: chappy133 on March 24, 2017, 07:23:20 PM ---We did not roof mount our solar panel. We park the camper in the shade and use the 40' of wire to put the panel out in the sun. If you mount to the roof you will need to hit the frame when screw the brackets in. My recommendation is not to put screws in your roof and just put the panel out on the ground.

--- End quote ---

+1!!

We rarely spot our camper in the sun. Even 40' of cable often won't find sun for long. That is the big problem with solar unless you camp in the desert a lot.

Another approach is to carry along a second battery and place it and the panel in the sun wherever you can find it. Then swap it out with the one on your trailer when fully charged. A rig like that is also easy to move to follow the sun during the day.

David

7thunders:
We have a 16DBS, 2017 picked up in November.
Here is the Zamp Solar Plug in for solar panels.  WE didn't rec'v any information on operation of the solar, so I"m not sure what to expect should we purchase a solar panel.  Will it connect right to battery? or will it run through the electrical system and then off to battery for charging ?
But I will be tempted to purchase a panel (with control boxneeded??) in the future

Rob

DavidM:
I thnk that Dan Miller, or someone who knows, told us that LL simply purchases (or is given) the Zamp plug and it is wired to the DC system at the converter. You can buy a Zamp pigtail on Amazon or eBay, wire your own solar panel to it and plug it in. You will have to install a controller preferably near the plug. Maybe the plug is mounted so that its inside terminals are in a cabinet that is accessible. In that case you just wire the controller between the plug and the existing wire.

You can rig your own solar panel this way for 1/3 the cost of a Zamp system using readily available components from Amazon or eBay.

David

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version