Weight distribution /Sway hitch for CL 14dbs. Needed? Safe with aluminum?

Started by Cairnterrier1, August 14, 2022, 05:01:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cairnterrier1

I have about 11,000 miles and 240 nights on my 2014 Camplite 14DBS, purchased new. 10,000 of those miles pulled by a Honda Ridgeline, with no weight distribution hitch.  I now pull with a 2021 Ford F-150/V8/2wd.  Swaying at interstate speeds has never really been a significant problem, and I rarely go above 70 mph.  65 Mph is my target. I thought the Ford would yield a smoother ride, as it is just a tighter, tougher truck. Actually the opposite has happened. The camper / truck combo seems to yield a rougher, bounce filled ride.  [Unless I'm just getting old and cranky at 66].   We never carry water, have empty tanks, and pack extremely lightly.  Probably 100#s of items are now carried in the truck bed, that used to be in the camper under the bed, just for convenience. The F-150 does not swat under the minimal tongue weight.

Do I need a weight distribution and/or a sway hitch?  The sway bars look like they would put stress on the trailer frame, and with this frame being aluminum, could I damage my camper frame?  I'm trying to make towing more comfortable, and safer.   Your experience and expertise appreciated.

Gibby

For the 14 I don't think you need WD Hitch, for an F150, it is a pretty light haul.

We use one on our 21RBS, and have found that what you describe (the bounce and ride) are greatly improved with the WD hitch. As far as loads on the aluminum frame, yes, it increases the torque on the front end of the trailer, and with many of the installations on the 21 (RBS/BHS) we were finding that the coupler would bend (posting describing a side bolt on the coupler / frame fixed this).

Given the lighter frame on the front of the 14, and the capacities of the F150, I would shy away from WD for your needs.

Are there any 14 owners that use WD out there?
2014 Camplite 21RBS
2021 Ford F150 Lariat FX4 3.5L V6 EcoBoost