Sensitive smoke detector

Started by Dave Fowler, July 26, 2021, 05:53:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Fowler

Hi Everyone,
Just picked up my 2014 Camplite Livin lite 8.6.  the smoke sensor is going off every 30 minutes or so when I am plugged in to power and nothing else is operational other than the fridge.  Why is this happening?

DaveL

I have two installed.  Just happened to check after owning the trailer for a year.  Both batteries were removed which obviously made them non-operational.  Installed a battery in one because I only had one 9v battery at the time while camping.  Every time we use a small toaster it goes off.  We now open the two top ventilation fans in the trailer and run them at full blast for the brief periods we use the toaster and that seems to keep the detector from going off.

My take is that they are extremely sensitive and in a tight space even more so....

CampMonster

My guess is that you may have a smoke detector that is past its useful life and is letting you know that it needs to be replaced.  Most newer detectors poop out after 5 to 7 years and start beeping once expired...even the carbon monoxide sniffer will start beeping at you at the 7 year point.  So replace it with a new one.

Regarding toaster oven setting off the smoke alarm...yep...nearly anything cooked on or around the stove except boiling water sets it off.  Running the roof vent fans helps, but my detector is now attached to the ceiling with weapons-grade 3M velcro...same stuff used to attach your toll pass to your windshield.  I give the detector a twist and toss it on the bed when I'm cooking.  Before I jump into bed, the detector goes back on the ceiling.

Finally, if your fridge is running on propane, make sure that its exhaust vent isn't plugged...go up topside after opening the freezer and fridge for a minute and see if you feel heat rising.  If your fridge combustion exhaust isn't exhausting, this could be an issue...especially if you have a combination smoke detector and CO alarm in the ceiling.

If you find my answer useful, please send me half your retirement savings in cash.  If you don't find it useful, send me a bottle of Bulleit for my efforts ;D

BTW...having to go through 5 steps of verification hell to post on this forum is ridiculous.
Keepin' it skinny

rrtrntowing

In our 21 rbs we call it the cooking detector.