Noob questions here regarding electrical systems 2017 16TBS

Started by gzelna, February 03, 2021, 04:28:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gzelna

Ok, new to me 2017 16TBS. The 12V battery is going dead in one day in storage on the side yard- of the house. All AC breakers are in the 'off' position and the main switch for 12VDC stuff like all the lights (on your right, mounted to the side wall of sink cabinet base as you enter the coach) is 'off'. Where are the other current drains occurring ? I know there is some load on the battery still as when I removed the cables from the battery terminals and 30A breakers on the trailer frame for cleaning and lubing, there was a pretty sizeable spark upon reconnect- more than I would expect for a system thats 'off'. Maybe a stupid question, yes, and maybe as simple a fix as installing a high amperage 12V battery disconnect SW near the house battery although not sure why thats necessary. Also in this low voltage condition of a nearly dead house battery, the oxygen sensor (or propane gas carbon monoxide....) starts 'chirping' at about a 1 minute interval. The Propane is off, the vents are open slightly, nothing is being combusted and I'm pretty sure there is no offending gas(s) involved. Does that gas detector have a battery that needs replacing, like a smoke detector ?

2 questions, I know............

Thanks !
Greg

djsamuel

Quote from: gzelna on February 03, 2021, 04:28:34 PM
Ok, new to me 2017 16TBS. The 12V battery is going dead in one day in storage on the side yard- of the house. All AC breakers are in the 'off' position and the main switch for 12VDC stuff like all the lights (on your right, mounted to the side wall of sink cabinet base as you enter the coach) is 'off'. Where are the other current drains occurring ? I know there is some load on the battery still as when I removed the cables from the battery terminals and 30A breakers on the trailer frame for cleaning and lubing, there was a pretty sizeable spark upon reconnect- more than I would expect for a system thats 'off'. Maybe a stupid question, yes, and maybe as simple a fix as installing a high amperage 12V battery disconnect SW near the house battery although not sure why thats necessary. Also in this low voltage condition of a nearly dead house battery, the oxygen sensor (or propane gas carbon monoxide....) starts 'chirping' at about a 1 minute interval. The Propane is off, the vents are open slightly, nothing is being combusted and I'm pretty sure there is no offending gas(s) involved. Does that gas detector have a battery that needs replacing, like a smoke detector ?

2 questions, I know............

Thanks !
Greg

I disconnect the battery.  You could install a disconnect.  The Propane detector is a constant drain on the battery.  If it is dead in one night, the battery may be suspect, but without disconnecting, my battery would be dead within a week.
2013 Camplite 21BHS

gzelna

I went the simple fix of adding a 12V battery disconnect switch to the '-'  side of the house battery. I shut it off when the trailer is stored and off shore power. Obviously it cannot be charged when disconnected, and also all the AC breakers need to be on in the house to enable the invertor to charge that battery. I discovered.