CL 16 TBS vs CL 21 BHS

Started by barb-marv, February 17, 2017, 05:14:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

barb-marv

Hi,   
We are considering getting back into camping after a 30 year hiatus - this time in a trailer rather than a tent.   We have been shopping around and are rather taken with the CampLites - they seem so much better built than other trailers we have looked at.  The weight of the CampLites would also work with our current pick up truck, a Chevy Colorado Z71. 

I was hoping those of you with lots of experience might be able to  comment on the pros and cons of a 16' vs. a 21' model.   The 16' seems like a manageable size for beginner trailer campers.... I am inexperienced and intimidated at the thought of  pulling the 21' unit.  We also would like to camp in smaller, more out of the way places, not always among big RV units. 

However, my husband also feels like having two axles like on the 21' is an important safety feature.  There is obviously more room in the 21' and a sink in the bathroom which seems like a nice addition. 

I would appreciate any comments or suggestions forum members might have on choosing a trailer.    Thanks!   -Barb

7thunders

My wife and I are New to trailer camping as well.  we just purchased a 16DBS in November and haven't had a chance to camp yet because of winter.  Our 16BS does have a double Axel.   It has a roomy enough bathroom with shower as well. it has a slide out for our living space, couch area.  we chose a DBS to have a full size queen bed to sleep in rather than separate bunks.  We pull it with a Toyota FJ Cruiser, having made only one road trip, the ride home from the dealer around 150 miles and had no issues.    WE believe like you that a bit smaller will make it more manageable and handle better in smaller campsites where we may back in rather than having to pull through.   It has all you would want inside for living.  We do plan on many weekends and a few week trips.  The all aluminum framing and Azdel interior make it a plus. 

We will gain experience as we go but did alot of research prior to choosing Camplite, believing the brand will be a "long lasting" camper not one that will rot away etc.
We are in Pennsylvania.
Hope this helps from our perspective.
Rob and Judi.
Rob & Judi
Northeastern Pennsylvania
16 DBS
Toyota FJ Cruiser

Diversteve

We love our 14 DBS. Plenty of room for two people and a dog.
Being able to pull into a convenience store for gas when travelling off the interstate is a huge bonus.

chappy133

We have a 2016 16 TBS. Great camper. We like the King Size bed that is two twins to allow you to get out of bed with out climbing over anyone. It is the right size for a couple camping and the slide out really gives you some room. We are in our soon to be 60 age bracket so this camper is meant to drive around the county once we retire. If you want the Grandchildren to stay with you this camper is too small. I didn't sleep in a hard side camper as a kid so it is canvas for the kids and grandkids (someday). The factory mattress are too thin. We replaced with custom foam and sleep well now. Towing the CL is not an issue because they are not too wide. So if you want to have the kids or grand kids to stay with you get the 21 or if your plan is couple camping go for the 16. Good luck.
Chuck
2016 21 RBS
2022 F 150 Lariat
Easton, PA

chappy133

As for the sink in the bath I added this today: 
Chuck
2016 21 RBS
2022 F 150 Lariat
Easton, PA

barb-marv

Quote from: chappy133 on February 18, 2017, 07:30:15 PM
As for the sink in the bath I added this today: 
Wow - very clever!  What a neat idea!

barb-marv

Thank you all for your insights - many good points to consider. 

wakeboydb

Ok, here's my $0.02 worth. I would buy the trailer that fits your needs and comfort level. Don't worry about the extra 5ft, it is only 2.5ft on each end which is nothing really! The 16 still requires the same lane width, parking and height space, it's just a touch longer so towing it is really the same as far as skill level. The 21 is longer so easier to reverse as it is slightly less "reactive" Our 21 is easier to back up than our previous travel trailer which was a 14ft Aliner. I have driven semi trucks and can tell you that the worst trailer I have had to back up was a jet ski trailer. So, like I say, I'd buy the trailer that you feel fits your needs once at your camp site.
2017 21BHS

barb-marv

Appreciate your 2 cents.  The 21' model would suit our needs best as my  husband has some specific medical needs that would be much better served by the larger bathroom with counter.   I was just afraid the 21' would limit our camping options to larger spots.   Some other folks have mentioned that larger trailers are actually easier to back up than smaller ones.  I cannot for the life of me get our 6' mulch hauling trailer to go anywhere but into my bumper! 

djsamuel

Quote from: barb-marv on February 21, 2017, 10:19:48 AM
Appreciate your 2 cents.  The 21' model would suit our needs best as my  husband has some specific medical needs that would be much better served by the larger bathroom with counter.   I was just afraid the 21' would limit our camping options to larger spots.   Some other folks have mentioned that larger trailers are actually easier to back up than smaller ones.  I cannot for the life of me get our 6' mulch hauling trailer to go anywhere but into my bumper!

We never have an issue in regards to campsite space with our 21BHS.  The trailer is easy to tow and backup.  In addition, it is smaller than most travel trailers out there, so space is never an issue with us so far.  The biggest advantage I see is the fact that the trailers are 7 feet wide, which to me makes a big difference. 
2013 Camplite 21BHS

wakeboydb

I agree on the site availability /size issue. Compared to many trailers  my 21 is still one of the smaller "regular " trailers on the camp site. To me, it seems like 26ft and up is where you may start narrowing availability down. I can't speak more highly of my 21bhs. Good luck with your decision!
2017 21BHS

barb-marv

mariahcarey

Dual axles can provide better stability, especially on highways and mapquest uneven terrain.

timothyferriss

The decision depends on your camping style, towing comfort level, budget, and desired amenities. I'd recommend considering a test drive or walkthrough of both sizes if possible to get a better immaculate grid sense of which one feels right for you and your husband.