(2) 6v batteries vs (2) 12v batteries

Started by tbrady, February 14, 2017, 12:55:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tbrady

Hi All, we do a ton of boondocking and am trying to figure out whether to go with 2 6v batteries or 2 12v batteries.  My dealer spoke to someone at LivinLite and they mentioned the 6v battery wires can get very hot when one battery runs down.

Does anyone have experience or advice with this?  I've read quite a bit online and most people tend to think 2 6v batteries are better but I haven't seen what the cons are for using 6v instead...

CoraDias

Hi...as per my knowledge RC is measured in minutes @ 25A power draw, so 120 means the batteries will be completely dead (10.5v) after two hours of use with a steady 25A load. In practice a typical marine/RV battery would be somewhat damaged if you actually ran it down to 10.5v, but RC is a laboratory measure. RC and AH are used for battery comparison, not estimates of practical run time.

automated pcb assembly

DavidM

Whoever you spoke with at LL doesn't have a clue. 6v GCbatteries are superior to almost all 12v batteries: thicker plates, more room for electrolyte over the plates and of course filler caps for monitoring electrolyte level and specific gravity.

Why don't they use 12v batteries in GCs? N'uff said.

David