tow vehicles for 6.0?

Started by JoyfulCamper, February 13, 2017, 10:54:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoyfulCamper

Our Quick Silver 6.0 gross weight is 1500lbs due to off-road package.  We've been towing fine with a 2001 Camry but are ready for a new vehicle.  Seems newer sedans tow less or not at all...according to manufactures' specs.  Prefer sedan for seating comfort.  Any suggestions for small vehicle which will tow our 1500lbs?

djmiller

How did you calculate 1500 lbs? The off road package would not add that much weight.  Even the 10 is under 1200 lbs.
The 6.0 is rated at 1286 GVWR. There almost had to be a error when you weighed your 6.0.
Let me know what you find out as that exceeds the weight carrying capacity of the 6.0.

-Dan

JoyfulCamper

The Certificate of Title had these three weights on it:  Empty wt. 914 lbs.; Gross wt. 1,500 lbs.; and GVWR 2,730 lbs.  I assumed that to be "legal" (car warrenty question or after a wreck) I would need to buy a vehicle that the manufacturer had stated was capable of pulling it.  I'm sure that many other vehicles can, in fact, pull it -- but, I don't want to be sorry down the road that I ignored the legality.  Does that sound reasonable?  This is my first experience at buying a vehicle to fit my camper.  By the way, it does also have the factory-installed air conditioner, which adds a few pounds, also.

djmiller

I would assume as you do that the title would be correct.
The axle used for the QuickSilver 6.0 is only rated at 1200lbs.

Is this the model we are speaking of:
https://www.livinlite.com/products/quicksilver-tent-campers/6.0.html .

Please send me a VIN as I am questioning the model.

wakeboydb

We towed an 1800lb Aliner with a 4 cylinder  Subaru Outback with zero issues. The smaller Impreza would do just fine I believe  and you have the added security of all wheel drive with any Subaru.
2017 21BHS

JoyfulCamper

In response to:

My answer is: 

Yes, that's the model.  In addition to the off road package and the a/c unit, I also have the exteded rear bumper. 

The vin# is 56DPX0619H2050035.

Promagstyle

I currently tow an QuickSilver 8.0 (As Advertised 685 lbs) with a 2010 Toyota Corolla CE, but its capacity is rated at 1500 lbs (680 kg).

Probably a bit heavy for my car.

However the Camry it is stated from various sources through google.com

The towing capacity of the 2012 Camry is 500kg if the trailer has no brakes and 1200kg if it does have brakes.
- Source: http://www.carsguide.com.au/car-advice/q-and-a/can-a-camry-tow-a-small-boat-40274

djmiller

Quote from: JoyfulCamper on February 14, 2017, 02:12:03 PM
In response to:

My answer is: 

Yes, that's the model.  In addition to the off road package and the a/c unit, I also have the exteded rear bumper. 

The vin# is 56DPX0619H2050035.

The QS6.0 Offroad has a 2200lb. rated axle.  You should have a sticker just inside the door that should match the GVWR on your title.  2370 makes some sense but 2730 does not.
Let me know what the sticker says. 

QS61956

I tow my  6.0 off-road with a 2016 Subaru Forester...no problems.

rob

Quote from: JoyfulCamper on February 13, 2017, 10:54:17 AM
Our Quick Silver 6.0 gross weight is 1500lbs due to off-road package.  We've been towing fine with a 2001 Camry but are ready for a new vehicle.  Seems newer sedans tow less or not at all...according to manufactures' specs.  Prefer sedan for seating comfort.  Any suggestions for small vehicle which will tow our 1500lbs?

You are absolutely correct:  Newer vehicles have lower to non-existent towing capacities.  I went through the same issue when I decided to get rid of my Matrix/Vibe.  Despite what some may think, there could be a very valid reason for the differences between a 2015 model and a 2016 model.  There may also be some very valid reason for the differences between a North American and a European model.

I "upgraded" from a 2.4l Pontiac Vibe to a 2.4l Jeep Patriot.  Both vehicles handle very differently when towing my QS 8.1.  My Vibe could easily take off and get up to highway speed with little concern.  My Jeep is a different story, something the concerns me when merging on a highway.  My Vibe however was strained when braking, but my Jeep has no trouble.  The Vibe had a tow capacity of 1500lbs, while the Jeep is rated for 2000lbs (with tow package).  In both cases, once at highway speed, it was easy to forget that I was towing.  In the end though, I do feel much safer in the Jeep.

The Forester and many other smaller vehicles do have posted tow ratings, but doing the research is important.  I cannot comment on the abilities of the Subarus, but it has received great comments from those who own the QS. I like the Jeep Patriot and it does what I need it to do.....................and I don't need additional tow mirrors (something I needed with the Vibe). 

2016 Jeep Patriot
2015 QS 8.1

JoyfulCamper

Reply to Dan Miller:

The sticker on the inside of the door reads:  RECREATION VEHICLE TRAILER CARGO CARRYING CAPACITY (then in gives the Vin #);  THE WEIGHT OF CARGO SHOULD NEVER EXCEED 8S4 kg OR 1816 lbs

And, the sticker on the outside of the vehicle reads like this:  MANUFACTURED BY LIVIN' LITE CORPORATION   DATE: 05/2016; GVWR/PNBV: 1241 KG (2730     SHIPSHEWANA,IN     TIRE/PNEU ST23575R15C;   GAWR (EACH AXLE)/PNBE 1000 KG (2200LB)    RIM: 15X6J
There is also a line for the cold inflation pressure, and a paragraph saying the vehicle conforms to various standards -- but no more numbers other than the vin#.

Sorry it took me so long to get this information posted.  I had wrapped my 6.0 in a breathable tarp, and waited for a suitable day weather-wise to unwrap it.  Boy, seeing it unwrapped sure makes me want to take it out!

To the others who have posted to this thread:  THANKS FOR SHARING YOUR EXPERIENCES!  Based on the research I've been able to do, and your comments, I'm looking for a Toyota RAV4, Subaru Outback, or Subaru Crosstrek -- but still open to other suggestions. 

Diversteve

http://www.trailerlife.com/trailer-towing-guides/
This is a great resource for choosing a tow vehicle.
Remember that the maximum is just that. There is no fudge factor.
No one ever said "I have too much tow vehicle".

clyde

Well. I went and picked up my Quicksilver 10.0 with a Chev 2500 LTZ Dura-max with Allison Transmission - diesel power

i think it was TOO much :), we totally forgot about the trailer several times, then look back - oh yeah...

JoyfulCamper

Postscript:  After more than a month of looking at late model crossovers and small SUV's, my wife and I came to the conclusion that our old Camry was the vehicle we were looking for.  So, at 199K miles, we replaced the struts, changed out the timing chain and water pump (for the first time, by the way), and replaced fluids and belts.  Hopefully, you'll see a faded old 2001 Camry pulling a beautiful blue QS 6.0 into a campsite near you sometime in the next couple of years!  Or, if you see us broken down on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere, you'll stop and give us a hand without saying (out loud, at least), "I told you so!"    :)

Mjmoore17

:) sounds like a smart decision. Hope to see you on the road with my black QS6.

Michael
QS6 w Jeep Willys TV